Thursday, September 10, 2009

Classic Metal Revisited Reviews 'Anomaly'

Classic Metal Revisited Reviews 'Anomaly'

Ace’s solo material has been pretty spotty (hit or miss) for me. When its hit, its been a bulls-eye, but when it misses, a major friendly fire incident. With no solo album release since 1989, and no “new/current” solo material released since 1995 (Spacewalk “Take Me To The City”) anticipation and expectations were high. Very, until I took a moment to consider Ace’s solo career. It’s not exactly been stellar. Many of the 84-6 demos excluded from his debut are better than anything else he released. “Trouble Walkin’“ was good, but dire in parts. “Second Sighting” is barely worth mentioning as an ACE album.

While I was excited about “Anomaly,” I really didn’t think it was going to do much more for me than TW. With the release of “Outer Space,” I was very worried. Here was Ace obtaining a song from someone else, something I felt he’d done rather too much of previously. The song also wasn’t very good. It was listenable, but certainly not the special sort of track I’d been hoping he’d unleash. I didn’t stick ice-picks in my ears, so I guess that’s good. The rest of “Anomaly” is much more surprising...

“Foxy And Free” is decent, but juvenile lyrically, but saved by the music and solo. I like the drums on this, but the production is pretty Spartan. “Pain In The Neck” is interesting riffage, but again let down by many of the lyrics which took me to “Dolls” territory. The chorus is dire, but I can’t but help enjoy the chugging nature of the song. Another good solo with very Ace signature. With “Fox On The Run” I was hoping for another home-run similar to how Ace handled “Do Ya,” way back when. It’s very good, and possibly the most perfect cover vehicle for Ace, but it’s just missing some intangible. It falls flat in some way and lacks the joy that so much 70s glam delivered.

“Genghis Khan” was a revelation. When I read what Ace had to say about it, I was a bit disinterested. But it’s a fascinating piece sonically different from anything else he’s done. Good bass work underlies the track which flows quite nicely, and even the brief vocal sections seem to fit perfectly. Weird is one word, but joyously so, perhaps only missing a cackle or two. For me the best track on the album is “Too Many Faces.” It’s commercial, well crafted, and highly accessible. In my opinion, it should have been the single. The imagery it evokes would have been perfect video fodder, had not Napster killed the video star. “Change The World” doesn’t work for me, but it’s a good effort at trying a new style. It doesn’t seem to have incubated long enough.

The second instrumental on the album is the fantastic “Space Bear.” It’s not artistic, simply rocking like a song for which suitable lyrics could not be constructed. Very enjoyable with some “Escape From The Island” overtones. “A Little Below The Angels” is an acoustic brother of “Rock Soldiers,” with Ace visiting Pastor Rock’s confessional. Again, while it doesn’t work for me, until the mid section, it’s enjoyable to hear Ace moving out of what might be considered a comfort zone. The nadir of the album is “Sister.” Perhaps it’s because it’s been in Ace’s live set during the mid-1990s. Perhaps it’s simply because I’m so used to the commonly circulating demo. But I find it totally lacking the dual-guitar attack that made the original so good. There’s not enough soaring led overdubs. It’s a bummer, but I’ll always have the Ace Frehley Band version. That being said, I hope he puts this back in the set.

“It’s A Great Life” is another great pop song. Where the experimentation doesn’t work for me on “Change The World” or “A Little Below The Angels,” this one is a winner. Great tempo and vocal delivery. In fact, this is worthy of a bit more applause! The album closes with “Fractured Quantum,” which like the other three doesn’t do much for me, but is a nice unifying touch.

I don’t think that this is a guitar aficionado’s album, but it’s a damn good album. Far better than I expected, even with a couple of what I perceive as “glitches.” I’m proud Ace has gotten this done, cleaned up, and hopefully found enjoyment in the process.