Friday, September 18, 2009

'Sonic Boom' Review

'Sonic Boom' Review
Rock Eyez

Eleven years since we last heard a new KISS record and the wait will be over shortly. “Sonic Boom” hits the shelves of Wal-Mart on October 6th here in the US. First off I love the commercial promo for the Album saying it’s the best KISS album in 30 years. KISS fans please don’t be deceived by a marketing ploy; make up your own mind. KISS are marketing geniuses and know the fans are a dedicated bunch, but get real! . I myself was a KISS fan back in the day and I still love the vintage days of KISS which I consider unmatchable but I broke out of that mold because there are so many great bands out there and I opened myself up. I myself made many great friends collecting and I will always remember those great times and I feel I will give a true review here of the new CD.

I read one review saying they don’t miss Ace and Peter which must be a joke. Granted both Eric Singer and Tommy Thayer are talented but where was everyone when Tommy was in BLACK N BLUE? It’s called blind to the eye. Anyway enough rambling let’s get to the new CD.

The opening track “Modern Day Delilah” that is sung by Paul is a good song with some cool leads by Thayer and has a good vibe. I wouldn’t put in a class of classic KISS but I’m sure fans will like the track. Track two “Russian Roulette” sung by Gene is another good song but the truth is it’s a typical Simmons song with a moving chorus.

Now “Never Enough” has shades of the Lick It Up era. Paul is a master as a frontman and his legendary vocals can never be matched in my opinion. The music is your traditional standard KISS chords that you heard from the past but once again Paul’s vocals make this one stand out.

The first track that really makes the grade is “Yes I Know (Nobody's Perfect)” which has sounds of the Dressed To Kill era. Gene’s vocals are distinctive and there is really no one in music that sounds like him-whether you consider that a good thing or a bad thing. Listening to the track it reminded me of “Ladies in Waiting” off “Dressed To Kill”.

A song that really caught me by surprise is “Stand” as KISS really go out on a limb in not sounding like KISS. I think this is one of the songs that could change the direction for KISS. These guys have been doing it so long and really how can you still be inventive with your music, but KISS kicked my ass on this one!

“Hot And Cold” is a typical Gene track nothing special, except some great leads by Thayer and I did like the added acoustics.

Eric Singer takes lead vocals on “All For The Glory” next and what a killer track! I loved his vocals and once again Thayer hits with quick leads. The harmonies were also special because you really didn’t hear Gene & Paul on background vocals too much. I am only saying that because both of them have distinctive vocals and it made an impression letting Singer take charge and shine in the spotlight.

Now here you go with more sounds of vintage KISS with the track “Danger Us”. Another track that brought back past KISS sounds with an updated vibe.

Tommy Thayer take’s hold of lead vocals on “When Lightning Strikes”, and actually sounds a bit like Gene Simmons! The song is not bad but nothing to rave about either. Just an average song and a bit of change letting yet another member take lead.

Check out “Say Yeah”! With the first couple chords it sounded like Tommy Tutone was making an appearance! But once Paul started his vocals I knew it was all KISS. One thing I can say from listening to KISS for so long is that this is one of their best albums in regards to the harmonies and background vocals, because they are outstanding. I felt a lot of change in the KISS music on this release.

To sum it all up this is an excellent album, I cannot say that there are any songs that will stand out in KISS history like “Firehouse”, “Black Diamond”, “Cold Gin”, or anything else from those early KISS albums (up until 1977), but it’s excellent none the less.

And as for missing Ace Frehley and Peter Criss (as well as Eric Carr (R.I.P.) for that matter) - well they will always be missed and remembered as legendary KISS members. But you also need growth and change and KISS seemed to have done that with “Sonic Boom”.