Thursday, February 4, 2010

Message From Bruce Kulick



BruceKulick.net


I don't know if you could imagine the pressure of having your name on a record release party with friends, fans and celebrities invited, doing a short set with only one full band rehearsal for a club that was completely packed on the Sunset Strip in West Hollywood, CA with a full camera crew in tow for the "Gene Simmons Family Jewels" show. But the Cat Club event could NOT have gone any smoother. I arrived early with many guitars (two ESP's, one PRS and one J-200 acoustic) and my pedals and Marshall amp, with only a quick line check to be sure things were good. Brent Fitz my drummer was frantically getting the special BK3 logo drum head on his monster 28" bass drum. Todd and Adam checked their gear and we were off to the upstairs VIP room to let the doors open at 7pm.

People were already lined up outside, so I knew the night would be special. Nick Simmons came early with the Family Jewels crew of course in tow, and we were all "wired-up" by the crew so they could capture the behind the scenes talk and activity of the event. Everything ran on time, with the first opening act Star Off Machine hitting the stage at 7:15. Nick and I were watching and enjoying from upstairs, and then his beautiful mother Shannon Tweed with her lovely daughter Sophie came up to the VIP room to greet us, excited about the night as Nick would be performing. The Simmons family is always fun to hang with and we had some funny chats about the music business and the club scene while the first band was finishing up their set.

Second up was "Cast Of Kings," a strong band that played a very strong set. (I hand picked the opening acts btw!) Soon the place was really buzzing and the floor of the club was completely packed. More friends and industry people were coming up to say hello, and it dawned on me... this night was about me, my CD release, my event. It kind of freaked me out! I was polite and grateful, but I think I was a bit of a social nerd that night, not sure how to handle all of the commotion. Jeremy, my producer, Tommy Thayer, Eric Singer, my brother Bob, Steve Lukather, Rudy Sarzo, Neil Zlozower, Teddy Zig Zag, and more personal friends of mine... all coming upstairs to greet me. What an incredible turnout for my event.

Soon it was time for my band to hit the stage. I was nervous of course, and I had to fight my way to the stage to get up there, as the Cat Club does not have access the way some clubs do. That was fun actually, almost like when a boxer is getting into the ring! Ken Gullic, the GM from Rocket Science, my US label, addressed the crowd telling them the event was being filmed, introduced me to the crowd, then I tore into the intro to "Hell Or High Water" from Crazy Nights. Adam Kury, my bassist, sang it and we were off to a strong start. I think I surprised many fans with the set list I chose.

Next was Todd Kerns, my singer/ guitarist, as lead on the hit from Hot In The Shade," Hide Your Heart." Again, great reaction from the fans. I told the crowd this next one was one of my favorite Paul Stanley tunes, "Tears Are Falling." Then we went into "Heart of Chrome," a never before performed live tune from the KISS album Revenge. "Heart Of Chrome" was powerful, and believe me it is not an easy song to pull off.

Then it was time for my special guest Nick Simmons to appear. Nick made his way through the crowd to the stage, and the place was going nuts. We did his song called "Hand Of The King" from my new BK3 CD. It was super, but of course as it was being filmed for the show the producer asked us to do it one more time so they could get more footage. We obliged and the crowd got the treat of hearing it again. I thanked Nick, and then had Jeremy Rubolino, my producer, come up and play the Gibson acoustic on the song "No Friend Of Mine." The song went over great, and it was a miracle to pull off that song on that tight stage. Jeremy was thrilled to rock with the band.

Next up was my song from Carnival of Souls, "I Walk Alone." I switched to my Sunburst PRS McCarty guitar, and since I sing that song I always try to forget the place is packed and do my best! We got that song off fine, another complicated arrangement if you ask me, but we still had ONE more to do to close the night. "God Gave Rock N Roll To You II" from Revenge/Alive III made a fitting choice as the closer for the night, with my white ESP/ LTD Viper on my shoulder. I thanked the fans then headed back upstairs to the VIP room, with people asking me for pix along the way. The entire night was surreal, and it really took me awhile to get that the hard work was over and now it was time to just relax with some of the friends and fans. I was invited out by many friends but I had to get my gear home safe, and being so exhausted from the successful evening I didn't need to prolong the night's festivities.

I want to thank Nick and my band, Jeremy for the assist, Ken and Matt from Rocket Science, the Family Jewels crew, Fritz my tech dude, ESP guitars for doing the support and guitar giveaway, and all the fans and industry people that were in attendance. Special thanks to Slim Jim from the Stray Cats, who is involved with the club, and Dessica and Mark for running the place that night. Everyone had an amazing time. I know I will never forget that night.

Best,

BK

To view more photos of Bruce's CD release party click HERE.